top of page

LUCIANO FABRO

HALL 2.0

STAND F16

(1936, Turin – 2007, Milan)

This precious artwork, shaped like a hollow egg, was installed by the artist in specific sites and occasions. It first appeared in the basin of the fountain Fontana delle Api by Bernini in 1978, then in 1980 on a well in Gand, and again in 1992 and 1994 on top of the column of the piece Colonna. This work is a reflection on nature, the body of the artist and art.

Luciano Fabro has been represented by Christian Stein since 1967.

On view: Luciano Fabro - Retrospective at Galleria Christian Stein, Milan 2016

Luciano Fabro is one of the founders of Arte Povera, renowned for his radical reevaluation of sculptural form and his rigorous approach to spatial context, material, and meaning. A landmark figure of post-war Italian art, he was also a prolific writer, publishing numerous texts on art theory. Fabro frequently employed precious and expensive materials, attracted by their poetic power. In many of his works, the artist establishes meaningful connections between luxurious and ordinary materials.


His work is held by the most important collections worldwide, including:

Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien; S.M.A.K., Gent; Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris; Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Paris; Castello di Rivoli, Rivoli; Galleria Nazionale d’arte moderna e contemporanea, Rome; Museo del Novecento, Milan; Museo MADRE, Naples; Pinault Collection – Palazzo Grassi, Venice; Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam;  Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid; Fondation Beyeler, Basel; Tate, London; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; MoMA, Museum of Modern Art, New York; Magazzino Italian Art, Cold Spring/New York; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis.

Io, 1977, bronze and gold, cm. 64 x ø 57 

bottom of page